So I had to do something else. And that was no problem, ’cause over my shoulder I had a pile of rokkakus ready to fly.
Yes, I did try to fly the rig but just as I anticipated it was too light and I only managed to get some really close up footage of the grass! So I packed the KAP gear back into the bag and opted for a handful of rokkakus instead.
First kite glued to the sky was my 1.80m orange rokkaku and without the rig it had no problems to stay aloft in the light, onshore wind.
Then I launched the all white rokkaku I built a few weeks ago. With a few adjustments to the bowlines and after a tweak of the angle of attack, the white rok’ was up there alongside the orange one.
Two more to go and the next rokkaku out of its bag was the brand new blue one with its spine made of two pieces of Aerostuff Gold! 😲 Yes, no kidding! I made the spine from two broken Aerostuff rods, cut them to correct lengths and … Voilà!
The fourth and final rok’ was one of the very first kites I built. It must be more than twenty years now, but it still flies perfectly. 5mm carbon fibre rod for spine and a couple of 3mm ones for cross spars. Just a few tweaks to have the kite set up correctly for the current conditions and … Well, just check it out!
With all four kites flying happily up there it was time to sit down, have a drink and just enjoy the moment.
Too bad you couldn’t be there with me, but hey, I got a video for you!